Cloud Bread (NO cream cheese) gluten free + dairy free
Keto and paleo friendly cloud bread has been circulating the internet and of course Pinterest for while now and it has always interested me. What doesn’t interest me is the cream cheese that always seems to be one of the key ingredients. I have nothing against cream cheese itself, but if I’m making something that is going to be consumed on a daily basis, I want to fill it with the best possible ingredients. Cream cheese is something I would be willing to have once in a while, but adding it to my meal prep every week doesn’t appeal to me. I also try to make sure that if I’m consuming dairy or eggs, it’s of the highest and kindest quality available. I don’t run into grass-fed, cage free, local farm cream cheese that often, so I really try not to consume it.
This cloud bread is individual sized and can be made in less than 5 minutes. It is super chewy and light and doesn’t break apart. I was actually pleasantly surprised on how strong this bread is. Even regular sandwich bread can fall apart around a heartier sandwich, but I loaded it with vegan pesto and veggies and it was fine! It’s probably the best thing I have ever made and it’s so simple.
This recipe is made with 100% natural ingredients. No gums to hold it together, no oil, and absolutely no processed sugar (of course!). I decided not to put coconut oil because I am attempting to cut out excess oil from my diet. Not that coconut oil isn’t healthy, because it is! However, it also has a lot of calories. So, when I can omit it, I do. And I am happy to say I didn’t miss it from this recipe!
I now have absolutely no excuse for cheating on my gluten-free diet. I’m going to make a bunch for my meal prep this week and I can’t wait to see how my body responds. I have been taking salads to work lately, but I miss having a good sandwich for lunch! Something about it is just so filling and satisfying. Honestly, this recipe is so healthy, I could eat a sandwich for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner. Yea, it’s that good.
*Yields 2 slices of cloud bread
2 tbsp gluten free flour (any starchy gluten free flour will work, I used Trader Joe’s)
2 eggs separated (only use the whites)
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk or stir all the ingredients together in a small bowl. The batter should be runny and not too thick.
- Transfer to a circular, microwave safe container. I used the lid of a tubber ware container that was about 4.5 inches in diameter and put half of the batter in (for one “slice” and then removed it, then did the other half).
- Microwave each half for around 30 seconds.
- Gently remove the cloud bread from the container. I would do this almost immediately because if you allow the bread to cool on the container, it tends to stick more. (If you notice in my pictures, the top slice is thinner and torn around the edges. That is because I left that one on the lid for too long and it got really stuck).
- Let cool for around 7-10 minutes and then make whatever sandwich creation you’d like. You can even do avocado toast, almond butter and banana, etc. You can really do anything with it!